Search sponsored by Coast Marketplace
Home Gazette Gazette News

Local band Thistle & Rose hold benefit concert for Cannon Beach Academy

Music for a cause
By Brenna Visser

The Daily Astorian

Published on February 22, 2018 12:01AM

Last changed on February 26, 2018 3:07PM

Thistle and Rose

Submitted photo

Thistle and Rose


The local band Thistle & Rose is holding a fundraising concert as a way to support the Cannon Beach Academy in its first school year.

The concert will showcase primarily the work of Bill Steidel, a Cannon Beach artist and ardent Cannon Beach Academy supporter. The show, titled Red Pony after one of Steidel’s songs, begins 7:30 p.m., March 3 at the Coaster Theatre. The proceeds will go toward funding the academy.

“The fundraising money raised goes directly to support the school’s operating budget. We receive 80 percent funding from the school district and we are responsible for fundraising the gap, or the other 20 percent,” said academy director Amy Moore. “So this will go directly toward that 20 percent gap.”

The idea came from Paul Dueber, one of the musicians involved in the folk band Thistle & Rose, who said the band has put on fundraising events like this in the past during the early days of the academy’s formation.

“We’ve lived in Cannon Beach for years. We raised our kids here, and they went to the elementary school,” Dueber said. “So when the school closed, we were passionate to get a school back in Cannon Beach. It’s hometown music benefiting a hometown entity.”

Doing this concert also intersected with the band’s desire to debut some of Steidel’s lesser-known songs in response to a high demand for them from audience members. Many of the songs are locally inspired, like “Cedar Home,” based on the historical Lindgren Home at Cullaby Lake or “Timber,” based on the tales of the Cannon Beach logging mogul George Van Fleet of the late 1940s and ’50s.

Others are personal to Steidel, Dueber said, like the concert’s title song “Red Pony,” which is a metaphor for his disapproval of the Vietnam war.

“We’re kind of walking back in time and reflecting on what he’s contributed to the community,” Dueber said. “He’s done so much for this town, including his work for the school. This is our attempt to give something back to Bill, too.”

Tickets are $20 and can be purchased at Maggie & Henry, the Cannon Beach Academy, Cannon Beach Hardware or at the door.



Marketplace

Share and Discuss

Guidelines

User Comments