Search sponsored by Coast Marketplace
Home Gazette Gazette News

‘Cannons on the Beach’

Historical dedication in Arch Cape

Published on June 8, 2018 8:50AM

Last changed on June 8, 2018 9:58AM

This historic marker will be dedicated in Arch Cape to remember the USS Shark.

Oregon Travel Information Council

This historic marker will be dedicated in Arch Cape to remember the USS Shark.


The USS Shark, which wrecked at the mouth of the Columbia River on September 10, 1846, will be remembered on Friday, June 15, a 1 p.m., with the dedication of a new historical marker in Arch Cape.

The marker, which will replace the current wooden sign worn down by weather and time, tells the story of the USS Shark through photographs and expanded text.

The dedication is presented by the Oregon Historical Marker Program and features a replica of one of the three of the ship’s carronades — short, smoothbore cast-iron naval cannons — found at various locations near today’s Arch Cape.

The new marker tells how a piece of the shipwrecked schooner, the Shark, with three small cannons, ended up on the beach in Arch Cape and how they were eventually found. It also explains that Arch Cape was once named Cannon Beach, changed its name, and later the community of Ecola to the north renamed the town to Cannon Beach.

The Arch Cape Falcon Cove Beach Community Club sponsored the marker’s development, helped gather source material and photographs for the design, and secured a grant from Clatsop County to fund the project.

The dedication event is free and the public is invited. The marker wayside is on U.S. Highway 101 on the northern border of Arch Cape. Attendees are invited to carpool and park at the Arch Cape Fire Station next door, just south of the wayside.



Marketplace

Share and Discuss

Guidelines

User Comments