Search sponsored by Coast Marketplace
Home Business Coast River Business Journal

Human Resources Q&A

Published on February 15, 2017 11:53AM

This column is sponsored by the Lower Columbia Human Resource Management Association. LCHRMA represents a gathering of Human Resources professionals. Join us each month for a luncheon and training that covers many aspects of employment law and human resources.

• Feb. 8: Denise Downs, Denise Downs Consulting; HR Investigations — 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Buoy Beer Company, 1 8th Street Astoria.

March 1: Liani Reeves, Bullard Law; Employment Law Update — 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Buoy Beer Company, 1 8th Street Astoria.

April 27, 28: Liani Reeves, Bullard Law; Crucial Conversations — 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Clatsop Community College Liberty Hall Rm. 119, Astoria.

Please register online.


HR Questions and Answers:

Q. Are minors required too obtain a work permit before working?

A. The requirement for minors to obtain work permits was abolished in September 1995. Employers of minors 14-17 years of age, however, are required to obtain and post an “Employment Certificate” (see below) from the Wage and Hour Division before employing minors. (Refer to “Employment of Minors” brochure from Bureau of Labor and Industries — BOLI). Minors are allowed to work certain jobs (restaurants, hotels, car wash, kennels, farms, entertainment productions, etc.) and are prohibited from other jobs (metal working, roofing, demolition, brick and tile manufacturing, coal mines, occupations involving explosives, motor vehicles, radioactive substances, meat slaughtering, etc.). For a complete list of jobs available and prohibited for minors, contact the Bureau of Labor and Industries.

Q. What is a valid Employment Certificate and what is an acceptable wage level for minors?

A. Employers who hire minors must comply with all child labor laws; verify the age of each minor hired using an appropriate proof of age document such as passport, driver’s license, or birth certificate; maintain a list of all minors hired; and post a validated Employment Certificate in a conspicuous location where all employees may readily see it. The Employment Certificate application may be found at the BOLI site. All employees including minors must be paid the applicable minimum wage for all hours worked. This includes any and all overtime pay after 40 hours in a week (however be advised that certain limits are set when school is in session with a maximum of 44 hours for 16 and 17 year-olds).

Disclaimer: No response to the above queries is intended as legal advice. The answers are general answers based on general questions. If you need legal advice, please consult an attorney.


Share and Discuss


User Comments