Search sponsored by Coast Marketplace
Home News Local News

Seaside standoff suspect pleads not guilty

Charged with felon in possession of a firearm, interfering with a police officer and reckless driving
By Jack Heffernan

The Daily Astorian

Published on June 12, 2017 4:41PM

Last changed on June 13, 2017 9:42AM

Shaun Scarborough

Shaun Scarborough

SEASIDE — A Seaside man arrested following a standoff with police earlier this month pleaded not guilty Monday to charges of felon in possession of a firearm, interfering with a peace officer and reckless driving.

Shaun Mitchell Scarborough, 28, held a kitchen knife to his throat for nearly two hours June 2 as Seaside Police attempted to arrest him at an apartment on South Columbia Street, Lt. Bruce Holt said. He eventually was struck by a stun gun and arrested just after 5 p.m.

Police initially responded just before 2:30 p.m. to a report of a physical disturbance between Scarborough and his mother at the apartment. But Scarborough was gone when police arrived, and no charges resulted from the original report.

Neighbors then said they had seen him drive recklessly, maneuvering quickly around corners.

Officers located the silver Audi that Scarborough had been driving minutes later at a home a couple of blocks away, although he was not there. A handgun was allegedly found inside, and Scarborough is a convicted felon. The keys to the car were later found in Scarborough’s possession, police said.

After police spotted the car, he was later seen fleeing back toward the apartment on South Columbia Street.

Police then located Scarborough in the kitchen of the apartment as he held the knife to his throat. Officers took cover since they could not see Scarborough for a portion of the standoff, Holt said.

Following a lengthy conversation with Scarborough, police were able to get closer to him before they eventually used a stun gun on him and arrested him. Police used the stun gun because they noticed what could have been the handle of a blade in his left hand as they got closer, Holt said. The object turned out to be a bandage on his middle finder resulting from a staph infection.

Scarborough could face up to seven years in prison if convicted on all charges.


Share and Discuss


User Comments