Search sponsored by Coast Marketplace
Home News Local News

Seaside man sentenced after November shooting

Scarborough, 29, sentenced to more than 8 1/2 years in prison
By Jack Heffernan

The Daily Astorian

Published on July 10, 2018 8:06AM

Last changed on July 10, 2018 9:20AM

Shaun Scarborough

Shaun Scarborough

A Seaside man was sentenced Monday to more than 8 1/2 years in prison after a November clash at a hotel over drugs ended with a shooting.

Shaun Scarborough, 29, entered a man’s room at the Beachside Inn in Seaside with his girlfriend, Marta Garfias, 21. Garfias had allegedly arranged to meet with Christopher Neaman, 36, of Washington state, to buy drugs.

Scarborough arrived with a .45-caliber pistol and a bandanna covering his face. During the encounter, Scarborough allegedly shot the man.

Scarborough said Monday that he went to the hotel with Garfias to confront Neaman about selling drugs to his homeless mother and that the gun misfired.

“I’ll take responsibility for what my actions are, but it was more of an emotional disturbance,” Scarborough said. “I used her to get in that door. It just got out of hand.”

Neaman was taken by ambulance to a hospital, where his spleen was removed. He then was taken via Life Flight to Oregon Health & Science University in Portland for further treatment.

Scarborough and Garfias were arrested a week later in La Mesa, California.

Scarborough originally faced charges of first-degree assault, second-degree assault, first-degree robbery, first-degree burglary and felon in possession of a firearm. He pleaded no contest to first-degree burglary as part of an agreement with the Clatsop County District Attorney’s Office. The plea means he does not accept guilt but recognizes prosecutors have enough evidence for a conviction.

Garfias was charged with first-degree assault, second-degree assault, first-degree robbery and first-degree burglary. She is scheduled for a final resolution conference in August.

For the burglary charge, Scarborough was sentenced to five years in prison. He will also serve a consecutive sentence of more than 3 1/2 years for violating probation in a separate case in which he was convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

In that case, Scarborough allegedly stood in a kitchen and held a knife to his throat for nearly two hours last year as Seaside police attempted to arrest him. After a standoff, he was struck by a stun gun and arrested.

The standoff came after a reported disturbance at the apartment where Scarborough fled in a car. Police found a handgun while searching the car.

Scarborough reached a plea deal with prosecutors in that case to serve three years probation and more than 3 1/2 years in prison if he violated the terms.

Scarborough said Monday that, at the time of his California arrest, he didn’t know what he would tell Circuit Court Judge Paula Brownhill. He had appeared in her courtroom for sentencing in the standoff less than two weeks before the hotel shooting.

“My life’s fallen apart on the street,” Scarborough said. “It’s a long time, but I do agree with this plea petition.”

Scarborough said he plans to use the prison time to kick a drug addiction and rid himself of bad influences, adding he wants to be able to take care of his two children.

“I’ve got things to do,” he said.


Share and Discuss


User Comments