Courtesy Gearhart Fire
A three-alarm structure fire caused an estimated $70,000 to $100,000 in damage after a chimney fire at 87604 Lewis & Clark Road in the Gearhart Rural Fire Protection District. Firefighters received a 911 call at 2:18 a.m. on Saturday morning. After responding to the single-family home, firefighters aided a resident on a balcony trying to put out the fire and escorted a woman and her dog from the home.
Gearhart Fire, Seaside Fire, Hamlet Fire, Lewis & Clark Fire and Warrenton Fire responded to the scene. The remote location and lack of a water source contributed to the need for manpower and apparatus, Gearhart Chief Bill Eddy said Monday.
The house was rendered uninhabitable and the Red Cross was notified to provide temporary lodging. The cause was determined to be a wood stove and chimney.