SURF PINES — A small blaze set fire in the dune grass just west of Surf Pines, a gated community in Warrenton, Thursday evening. The rapidly-growing fire was reported around 6:45 p.m., according to Gearhart Volunteer Fire Department, and grew to about 100-foot by 50-foot in area. The fire was started by an overheated lawnmower of a resident who was mowing the dune grass at the time, the department said. The flames were contained in a little under two hours and no structures were threatened.
“We may have just got out of fire season, but this fire is just an early reminder that the conditions out there still present hazards for wildfires,” the department’s Facebook post read. “Under the right conditions, this fire could have grown exponentially.”
The department reminds people to be cautions when operating power tools in dry fuels, burning yard debris, or enjoying a campfire on the beach.