In reviewing the June 7, 2017 Gearhart City Council minutes, I found some inaccurate information being given out by City Manager Chad Sweet in regard to voter registration.
In response to a question asked by Gearhart resident, Susan Spring, regarding the procedure for changing one’s voter registration, Mr.
Sweet stated “there are some tests done such as how long you have been registered, where the title of your car is mailed and where you receive your taxes.”
When attempting to open the Pacific Way Cafe, John Allen was faced with the same issue from the city. Judge Thomas Edison ruled against the city, costing Gearhart a great deal of money. The sooner the flow of foggy and misleading information being fed to the residents of
Gearhart from its city hall is stopped, the better.
Per Cameron Moore, Clatsop County Manager, “a person must have a valid Oregon driver’s license with an address in the county. If they do not have an Oregon driver’s license they can provide the last four digits of their social security number and a current utility bill, bank statement, government check or other government documents that show their name and address which must match the residence or mailing address submitted on their voter registration card.
• A person’s residence must be the place in which habitation is fixed and to which, when a person is absent, the person intends to return. Some factors to consider in determining residence include:
• Where a person receives personal mail
• Where a person is licensed to drive
• Where any immediate family members of the person reside
• The address from which the person pays for utility services
• The address from which the person files federal or state income tax returns
• A county elections official may inquire at any time into the validity
of the registration of any elector.
Harold T. Gable, DMD