Search sponsored by Coast Marketplace
Home Life In One Ear

In One Ear: Getting fortified

The building of Fort Clatsop
By Elleda Wilson

The Daily Astorian

Published on December 13, 2017 12:01AM

Last changed on December 13, 2017 11:10PM

Did you know that 212 years ago the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery was in the throes of building Fort Clatsop? They started construction on Dec. 9, 1805. The Oregon Encyclopedia describes the fort as consisting of two cabins, parallel to and facing each other, with a parade ground between them that had gates on each end (

One cabin had three rooms for the enlisted men. The other was a bit more elaborate, containing a room for the captains, one for the Charbonneaus (Sacagawea and family), an orderly room and a storeroom. A sketch of what the fort looked like is shown, courtesy of the Oregon Encyclopedia.

The corps moved in on Christmas Day, and stayed for 106 miserable, soggy, flea-ridden days, 94 of which were rainy. ’Twas not the season to be jolly.


Share and Discuss


User Comments