Search sponsored by Coast Marketplace
Home Life In One Ear

In One Ear: Cupola makeover

New exhibit joins Artifact Alley
By Elleda Wilson

The Daily Astorian

Published on September 7, 2018 12:01AM


Lucien Swerdloff and his Clatsop Community College Historic Preservation students have once again worked their magic at the Knappton Cove Heritage Center.

“Joe Cain and Jon Simmons were instrumental in restoring the cupola (used for ventilation) that sat atop the old water tower tank that served the historic U.S. Quarantine Station at Knappton Cove,” Nancy Anderson wrote. “Water was an important part in the functioning of the station — lots of laundry, as well as numerous showers for the immigrants and crew members arriving at the Port of Astoria from 1899 to 1938.” Especially for showers, no doubt, after long voyages in crowded sailing ships.

The cupola now has a place of honor in the center’s Artifact Alley.



Marketplace

Share and Discuss

Guidelines

User Comments