Search sponsored by Coast Marketplace
Home Sports Local Sports

Gulls dominate Molalla in 4-0 win

The Daily Astorian

Published on September 12, 2017 12:01AM

Last changed on September 12, 2017 10:43PM

SEASIDE — The Seaside boys soccer team took the field Tuesday night for their first game in almost two weeks, as smoky air caused by forest fires in the Columbia Gorge postponed a pair of games last week.

Those contests will be made up at a later date.

In the meantime, the 12-day layoff had no effect whatsoever on the Gulls, who ran circles around Molalla in a nonleague game at Broadway Field. Seaside scored a goal in the first half then tacked on three in the second for a 4-0 win over the Indians.

They’re only two games into the season, but the Gulls (2-0) are quickly climbing the OSAA rankings, with Seaside moving into the seventh spot following Tuesday’s win.

The Gulls dominated the time of possession in Tuesday’s game against the Indians, a team Seaside beat last year, 2-1.

Still, the Gulls couldn’t find the back of the net until the 33rd minute.

Seaside freshman Westin Carter fired a shot from 25 yards out, directly in front of the goal. The ball struck the cross bar, and came down at the feet of senior Colton Carter. And Westin’s big brother had an easy slam dunk shot from close range for the game’s first goal.

The scoring came a little easier in the second half.

Colton Carter was fouled along the end line in the penalty area in the fourth minute, and converted the penalty kick for a 2-nil lead.

With 21:25 remaining, Seaside’s Chase Januik found a cutting Diego Angulo down the right side, and the freshman scored from 15 yards out to make it 3-0.

And Januik capped the scoring with an unassisted goal with 9:43 left, as he dribbled the ball down the left sideline, raced past Molalla defender Mauricio Rojas, and scored on a perfectly placed shot into the upper right of the net.

Seaside keeper Ashton Boyd picked up the shutout in goal, as the Gulls limited Molalla’s shot attempts for much of the night.

Seaside returns to action Thursday at Stayton, in a game that was postponed earlier.


Share and Discuss


User Comments