Search sponsored by Coast Marketplace

Boys Soccer: Astoria, Seaside battle to 2-2 draw

By Gary Henley

The Daily Astorian

Published on September 23, 2017 12:01AM

Last changed on September 25, 2017 8:40AM

Westin Carter prepares to pass the ball to a teammate for Seaside during Saturday’s soccer match against Astoria.

Colin Murphey/The Daily Astorian

Westin Carter prepares to pass the ball to a teammate for Seaside during Saturday’s soccer match against Astoria.

Buy this photo

SEASIDE — It was classic Clatsop Clash soccer Saturday night in Seaside under the lights on Broadway.

The Astoria and Seaside boys soccer teams were battling, trading goals, fighting for every ball … with a wild finish in front of a good-sized crowd at Broadway Field.

And the end result? A draw, as 80 minutes of soccer finished in a 2-2 tie between the Fishermen and Gulls.

A couple of “Hail Mary” shots worked for Astoria, while Seaside scored first and last.

The Gulls also had the Fishermen on their heels over the final 10 minutes, taking shot after shot right up until the final horn. But Astoria answered the call, deflecting a few shots and shutting off the passing lanes, while Fishermen keeper Jake Hurd managed to prevent any game-winning goals by the Gulls, despite a flurry of attempts in the final seconds.

The 2-2 draw was the first tie in the Clatsop Clash series since a 1-1 game in 2012; and it was the first non-win for Seaside against Astoria since 2014, as the Gulls had won four straight versus the Fishermen.

And Seaside scored first in Saturday’s showdown.

Seconds after a corner kick in the 13th minute, Seaside junior Irving Peon gathered in a deflection and fired from 25 yards out, with his laser shot ending up in the back of the net.

But just over two minutes later, the Fishermen took advantage of their best friend of the night — the artificial turf and free kicks from midfield.

With a free kick in the 15th minute, a deep ball by the Fishermen down the middle took a high hop off the turf over Seaside keeper Ashton Boyd, and Astoria’s Christian Medina-Perez was there to knock the ball in the goal for a 1-1 tie.

A couple of shot-on-goal attempts by Peon in the opening minutes of the second half sailed over the cross bar, while the Fishermen got lucky again in the 46th minute.

Cole Beeson’s free kick from just inside the midfield stripe was just over the outstretched arms of the keeper, and the Fishermen grabbed a 2-1 lead.

The goal definitely woke up the Gulls, who came back firing.

With a corner kick in the 56th minute, the kick from Seaside’s Westin Carter deflected off the far post, and Chase Januik was there to clean up, scoring from close range to knot the score at 2-2.

Astoria did not have a single shot on goal in the final 30 minutes, while Hurd made six saves on Seaside attempts.

In the final two minutes, the Gulls had two direct free kicks, and open opportunities from Dodger Holmstedt and Colton Carter that were knocked down by Hurd.

Junior Varsity: Seaside 4, Astoria 0.


Share and Discuss


User Comments