Search sponsored by Coast Marketplace
Home Sports Local Sports

Boys Soccer: Seaside storms past Tillamook, 5-0

By Gary Henley

The Daily Astorian

Published on October 18, 2017 12:01AM

Last changed on October 18, 2017 11:18PM

SEASIDE — It was just a formality Wednesday night at Broadway Field, where the No. 1-ranked Seaside boys soccer team put the finishing touches on another Cowapa League championship season.

Seaside sealed the deal with a decisive 5-0 win over Tillamook, as the Gulls (8-0-1 in league) defeated the defending league champs for the second time this season.

“Just an ‘all team’ effort,” said Seaside coach John Chapman, “in crazy weather.”

The defense “did a bang-up job again,” he said. “We will remain humble and prepared. Still things to work on and adjust.”

The wind was the 12th man in Wednesday night’s game at Broadway Field, where a strong south wind was an advantage for whoever was heading for the north goal, while a constant rain led to a second half soaker.

But it didn’t make much difference in the final numbers — the Gulls dominated with the wind in the first half, building a 3-0 halftime lead, and Seaside scored twice going against the wind in the second half.

Five different players scored goals for the Gulls, while the Seaside defense posted its sixth straight shutout victory, and eighth shutout of the season, most at the 4A level.

It took the Gulls just over six minutes to score the game’s first goal, as Colton Carter punched in a close range shot on a scramble in front of the net.

Just over two minutes later, Seaside freshman Dodger Holmstedt powered in a rocket shot from nearly 30 yards out for a 2-nil lead.

The Gulls peppered the net with shots on goal for the remainder of the half, finishing with 12 shots, seven on frame.

Seaside’s third goal came with 17:54 left in the half, as freshman Westin Carter centered a pass to senior Rafi Sibony, who one-touched the ball into the net from 20 yards away, his second goal of the season.

Tillamook did not have a single shot in the first half, and crossed midfield just six times.

The Cheesemakers at least managed four shots in the second half, all by Eve Hernandez. Two sailed over the cross bar, and two were saved by Gulls’ keeper James Petite, who shared the shutout in goal with Ashton Boyd.

Under a drenching downpour in the second half, Seaside scored twice in the final 7:11 — a goal by Bryce DeWinter off an assist from Colton Carter, and a penalty kick by Uly Corona with 59 seconds remaining.

The Gulls have one regular season game remaining, at Banks next Tuesday. The Braves have lost nine in a row, and postponed Wednesday’s game at Astoria due to a lack of players.


Share and Discuss


User Comments