On the morning of Tuesday, July 1, 1873, a crowd milled at the corner of 10th and Commercial streets until Tri-Weekly Astorian Publisher DeWitt Clinton Ireland threw open his office doors and started selling papers.
The book "The Astorian" by Roger Tetlow reports that the city's first newspaper since 1866 sold out by noon that day – and Ireland said he wished he had printed more than 500 copies.
Business? You could say it was booming.
That four-page issue of the Tri-Weekly Astorian established a tradition that celebrates its 129th "birthday" July 1.
The news of the day was presented differently in 1873. Headlines, when they were used, were in small type and confined to one column, as were the stories. Small news briefs, sometimes no more than a sentence long, were front-page news and had to share space with classified advertising.
These excerpts are taken from the pages of the first issue:
• "Capt. George Flavel, who has been to California overseeing work on the barkentine Jane A. Falkinburg for a month past, is expected home to-day."
• "OUT OF SORTS – For the want of certain letters in the alphabet which the type founders neglected to send with the bulk of the type ordered, much that we wished to say to-day in the first issue of the ASTORIAN is necessarily omitted."
• "U.S. Mail and Express. From Astoria to Clatsop Beach! Fast Horses! Good Carriage!"
• J.W. Gearhart – Dealer in hay, grain and feed with "a general assortment of groceries" including "flour, bacon, hams, shoulders, lard, butter, cheese and eggs."
• The Steam Tug Varuna leaves Astoria Tuesday and Saturday mornings for Fort Stevens, Cape Disappointment and Unity carrying mail, passengers and freight.
• A year subscription to the four-page paper, published on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, cost only $5. Ads cost $1.50 per square per month.
With no education beyond age 12, Ireland learned the newspaper trade as an apprentice in South Bend, Ind. At 19, he founded his first paper in Mishawaka, Ind.
Three years after he began the Tri-Weekly Astorian, Ireland grew ambitious. The Tri-Weekly Astorian evolved into The Morning Astorian May 1, 1876, Astoria's first daily newspaper.
The daily glory lasted just over a month. Faced with low profits, Ireland was forced to cut publication to weekly status June 19, 1876.
To raise financial stability, the company branched out, printing salmon canning labels. In another year – on June 2, 1877 – the paper went daily again.
In 1881, Ireland sold the paper to John F. Halloran and Pitman W. Parker. The paper would change hands several times until 1930, when it merged with the Astoria Evening Budget, a separate paper founded in 1893 by Oscar W. Dunbar and John Gratke.
In 125 years, the Astorian – be it Morning, Evening, Budget, Tri-Weekly or Daily – has changed. News used to come to the remote city of Astoria by horse and buggy; now, high-speed computers and satellite links transmit news from around the world. Gone forever are the days of hand-engraved and hand-set type and pictures; our journalists write and edit local stories, compose headlines and design pages on desktop computers.
However, some things never change. The names and places in the articles and advertisements from that July 1, 1873 issue are familiar. Gearhart, Van Dusen, and Flavel can be found in the Astorian today.
For eight decades, The Daily Astorian has been under the leadership of the Aldrich-Forrester family. In 1968, Michael Forrester became editor; three years later he was named editor-publisher. In 1973, when the Astorian-Budget Publishing Company merged with the East Oregonian Publishing Company (now EO Media Group), Michael Forrester became editor of the East Oregonian in Pendleton and his father, J.W. Forrester, who had been at Pendleton, was appointed editor of The Daily Astorian.
In 1988, J.W. Forrester retired and his son, Steve, Forrester assumed the post.
EO Media Group also owns the East Oregonian, Blue Mountain Eagle, Chinook Observer, Capital Press, Wallowa County Chieftain, The Hermiston Herald and Oregon Coast Today. In addition, it publishes these websites: CoastWeekend.com, DiscoverOurCoast.com, NorthwestOpinions.com, Seaside-Sun.com, OnlyAg.com, FarmSeller.com and EastOregonRealEstate.com.
1873 Tri-Weekly Astorian founded by DeWitt Clinton Ireland.
1877 Tri-Weekly Astorian – later Morning Astorian, moved to southwest corner of 10th and Commercial.
1892 Astorian bought first Linotype on Pacific Coast.
1893 Astoria Evening Budget founded by Oscar Dunbar and John Gratke.
1903 Morning Astorian sold to John S. Dellinger.
1919 Evening Budget sold to E.B. Aldrich, Lee Drake, Fred Lampkin and Merle Chessman of Pendleton.
1922 Astoria fire destroyed both the Morning Astorian building and Evening Budget building. Astorian resumed printing three days later at The Toveri (Finnish) newspaper in town. Budget was printed for a while by the Seaside Signal.
1930 Upon death of J.S. Dellinger, Mrs. Dellinger sold to E.B. Aldrich, Fred Lampkin, Lee D. Drake and Merle Chessman. Name changed to Evening Astorian-Budget and moved to plant on Exchange Street.
1947 Publisher Merle Chessman died. His son, Robert Chessman, was named publisher and Fred Andrus, editor.
1948 Bought new Duplex, 16 page press. Moved to remodeled Troy Laundry building 10th and Duane.
1959 Chessman family sold their stock to the other stockholders. Morgan Coe was named publisher.
1960 Name was changed from Astorian-Budget to The Daily Astorian.
1969 Fred Andrus retired and Mike Forrester became editor.
1970 Paper went into new building at 10th and Exchange, and an offset web press was installed.
1971 Morgan Coe retired. Mike Forrester became editor.
1973 J.W. Forrester became editor, and Mike Forrester moved to East Oregonian.
1988 Steve Forrester named editor of Daily Astorian, upon J.W. Forrester’s retirement.
1996 The Daily Astorian goes online at www.dailyastorian.com
2000 Steve Forrester named publisher of Astorian.
2003 Steve Forrester becomes president of the East Oregonian Publishing Co.
2006 The Daily Astorian launches a stand-alone community-journalism site, Seaside-Sun.com
2010 The Goss Community press is retired and replaced with a newer model with expanded page and color capacity.
2012 Publishes first edition of Our Coast magazine and launches DiscoverOurCoast.com
2013 East Oregonian Publishing Co. changes its name to EO Media Group