10 years ago this week — 2007
When it comes to landing fish, Astoria has been putting on pounds.
The Astoria commercial fishing port — which includes Warrenton and Hammond landings – claimed 164.1 million pounds of fish last year, the fourth highest of any West Coast port and No. 9 nationwide.
Astoria’s 2006 haul was just a little lighter than that of Los Angeles, which landed 164.5 million pounds. Both were a ways behind the top Alaska ports in Dutch Harbor and Kodiak, which landed 911 million pounds and 372 million pounds respectively.
They’re out there.
One hundred miles off the Oregon Coast, leatherback sea turtles, who many call “the Earth’s last living dinosaurs,” are feeding on thousands of jellyfish.
Unbeknownst to many land dwellers, these large reptiles — which can grow to more than 6 feet long and tip the scales at 2,000 pounds — come from as far as Indonesia to cruise our jellyfish-rich waters from late July through November.
But turtle lovers shouldn’t break out their Nikon cameras just yet: Their distance puts them well beyond the average beachgoer.
Four of the seven Clatsop County planning commissioners rejected the advice of county staff Wednesday in three split votes that turned the tide for Bradwood Landing liquefied natural gas project developer NorthernStar Natural Gas Co.
The three votes reversed staff conclusions on the project’s size, dredging Clifton Channel and rezoning 5 acres of wetlands for industrial development.
And in the end, the changed the conclusion from “deny” the NorthernStar land use application to “approve with conditions.”
50 years ago — 1967
Celebration of the Astoria Regatta, this year in its 47th year since origin back in 1894, has been temporarily discontinued four times over this span, twice as result of world wars.
Each time, however, the festivities were revived, just showing that you can’t keep a good Regatta down.
Longest gap was a 15-year period, from 1917-1932, when World War I forced cancellation of the festival. It was not until more than a decade had passed that Astorians’ thoughts turned once again to the marine celebration.
It revived with organization of the Astoria Yacht Club in 1931 whose leaders went to work. In 1932 the Regatta was once again a reality, with Marie Simmons ruling all of Regattaland. Portlander Phil Jackson was that year’s admiral.
Eleven persons survived an automobile’s 80 foot plunge down a cliff near Indian Beach in Ecola State Park Wednesday afternoon.
The car plunged off a curve on the winding, hillside road between Ecola Park and Indian Beach when the accelerator apparently stuck as the station wagon was approaching the curve.
The station wagon landed upside down at the foot of the cliff. Most of the passengers suffered cuts and bruises but only one, Florence Harrison, 41, was hospitalized.
Ten years ago midnight tonight hundreds of Cannon Beach, Seaside and Gearhart residents gathered on the beach to witness the end of an era.
At 12:01 a.m., September 1, 1957, lightkeeper Osward Allik, now retired and living in Portland, turned off the powerful Tillamook Rock lighthouse beam for the last time.
75 years ago — 1942
The fourth and final carload of daffodil bulbs, Clatsop Plains chief agricultural crop, was shipped from here last week. The bulbs are now selling at an average of $200 a ton.
The Astoria Port Commission, in a brief session, last night deeded additional ground on the Port’s Clatsop airport to the Navy for expansion of plane facilities and offered more space on the docks’ middle pier for use of the 13th naval district.
Porpoise has wide possibilities as canned food. This is the conclusion reached by Dr. E.W. Harvey of the state food industries laboratories here.
Harvey is continuing his investigation of the procedure followed in packing porpoise as a result of initial tests by the members of the Oregon fish commission and the Washington Department of Fisheries. Last spring at a breakfast held at food laboratories, these members of the two states’ fishery departments were served canned porpoise and found it much to their liking.
Once used to batter Yankee forces in the mud-soaked battlefields of the first World War, the old German cannon that has slumbered in quietness of the courthouse lawn since 1929 will be melted down and reforged into weapons to kill Germans, if the recommendation of the county court is followed.
Col. R.W. Yates, director of the ninth service command supply division, has requested the county commissioners to give up all cannons, cannon balls, iron rails and fences or similar items for use in manufacturing weapons for war. Items of definite historical or antiquarian value will not be taken, however.