The Columbia River Maritime Museum presents a presentation by Michael Noack, "Aids to Navigation, The History of Lighthouses," at 1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24.
Lighthouses have long stood on rocky cliffs and sandy shorelines as a warning to ships at sea. Crewmembers have kept a vigilant eye out for these beacons of light to guide them safely to their destination. Oregon's abundant resources of timber, salmon, agricultural crops and coal in the early 1800s were in great demand in San Francisco and other ports. However, treacherous river bars, storms, fog and rocky coastlines made shipping extremely dangerous. A huge demand for lighthouses in Oregon arose. The first Oregon lighthouse, Cape Arago, was built in 1866.
Noack's 45-minute slide presentation, held in the Ford Family Foundation Education Center at the museum, will feature historical facts, anecdotes and audience participation for all ages. The presentation is free with admission to the museum.
Noack was the Chief Ranger at the Bureau of Land Management's Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area in Newport. He was involved in design, implementation and supervision of all environmental education, interpretation and volunteer programs.
The Columbia River Maritime Museum, 1792 Marine Drive, is open 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily except Thanksgiving and Christmas. Admission is $8 for adults, $7 for seniors 65 and older, $20 for families and $4 for children ages 6 to 12. Members are free.