"Stairways and Surprises: A glimpse of Astoria: 1890 to 1925" is the theme of Clatsop County Historical Society's 2003 Historic Homes Tour, held from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 10.
Begun in 1966 as a fund-raiser for the society, the self-guided tour has been held nearly every year. At least one of these homes has never been open to the public before.
The tour includes six Astoria homes built between 1890 and 1923. At each home, tourists will be greeted by a historical society member and the current owner of the property. The historical society will provide a map and history about each of the chosen sites. Cost of the tour is $10.
A pretour lunch is held on the Flavel House grounds beginning at 11:30 a.m. Tickets for the sack lunch may be purchased in advanced or on the day of the event. Ham or turkey sandwiches are available. The cost is $6.50.
Advance tickets may be purchased at The Heritage Museum, 1618 Exchange St., Astoria; The Flavel Carriage House, 444 Eighth St., Astoria; Cannon Beach Outdoor Wear, 239 N. Hemlock, Cannon Beach; Vista Sea Cafe, 126 Broadway, Seaside; and A Great Shop, 576 Pacific Way, Gearhart.
People seeking more information or who are interested in having their home open next year, may call Lisa Studts at the historical society (503) 325-2203.
The properties in this year's tour are:
The Dr. Forsstorm House on Seventh Street, built in 1917.
The Sandborn Residence on 14th Steet, built in 1917.
The Dieleman and Greenberg Residence on Grand Avenue, built in 1890.
The Augustine, Hablewitz Duplex on Irving Avenue, built in 1906.
The Barker Residence on Irving Avenue, built around 1905.
The Ranikin Residence on Irving Street, built about 1923.