The connection between Astoria and Finland is well-documented. Large numbers of Finnish immigrants began settling in Astoria in the late 1800s. With that in mind, I traveled to Finland in early March and captured scenes from Helsinki and above the Arctic Circle — where the reindeer is still …
BEAUREGARD, Ala. — Volunteers helped clear debris-clogged roads and donated money to help pay for the funerals of 23 people killed by a devastating tornado in Alabama, where grieving survivors hunted amid twisted wreckage for keepsakes to help them remember the dead.
Flooding in Northern California left people trying to safely evacuate areas effectively cut off from the rest of the world. Floodwaters inundated the towns of Guerneville and Sebastopol, forcing many to take to boats, canoes and paddleboards to escape rising waters.
Parts of the North Coast were treated to a light snowfall early this week, which allowed those fortunate to have a snow day to take to the hills for some sledding and a few snowball fights. The hill below the Astoria Column was a popular spot. The snow didn't last long as temperatures rose l…
Clatsop County was largely spared the frigid temperatures from the polar vortex this week. Other parts of the country were chipping off layers of ice and shoveling snow as the thermometer dropped well below freezing in the Midwest. Cities like Chicago, New York and Minneapolis were colder th…
The Seaside Civic and Convention Center is used to hosting dramatic performances. The venue is the site of the Miss Oregon competition every year but those performers typically do not need to be coaxed and/or carried into the limelight as was the case for some contestants at the Emerald Cat …
- Naselle woman sues Columbia Memorial Hospital after stroke
- Changes planned at The Daily Astorian
- Astoria man indicted after allegedly attempting to run over a deputy
- Man sentenced to prison for chainsaw attack
- Warrenton struggles with homelessness
- Warrenton remembers teen who died from the flu
- Emergency crews re-create Astoria Column rescue
- Port of Astoria prepares for $300 harbor fee
- Astoria, facing a flu outbreak, will scrub schools
- Search continues for missing Svensen woman