Finding a 24-hour locksmith in Astoria just got easier: A Coastal Lock-n-Key Owner Michael Long will complete prep work on his new space and open the shop to the public in early April.

Long recently began leasing the space at 49 7th St. in Astoria from No. 10 Sixth Street Partners, and has since made some minor renovations including a new door and painting.

The location was an obvious choice for Long, who said the space offers good visibility from major Astoria roads and plenty of parking. His business is housed in a section of a small building in the southeast corner of the No. 10 Sixth St. parking lot, near Pizza Schmizza.

A Coastal Lock-n-Key is a full-service locksmith which Long said provides "auto lock-out service, commercial and residential re-key, installation of locks and deadbolts, door closures, panic hardware [such as] crash bars, and key making."

Long has lived in Astoria most of his life. Prior to opening A Coastal Lock-n-Key, which previously operated primarily as a mobile business, Long worked at Hauer's Cyclery & Locksmith and attended Clatsop Community College to obtain a Certificate of Welding. "There was definitely a need for a locksmith in Astoria," Long said. "When Hauer's closed, no one was there to service the area."

He also noted that his time at Hauer's helped attract customers to his new business.

"I was already familiar with the locals from my work there, and it definitely made it easier," he said.

As if starting his own new business wasn't enough, Long said it's much harder since the business is on-call at all times.

"Unfortunately, I can't be in two places at once. Being a 24-hour business, one of the downsides is that I have less time with my family," Long said. "People just don't seem to lock themselves out during normal business hours."

Depending on demand, Long may consider adding new services. He stressed that as the proprietor of his business, he is dedicated to doing the job right.

"Hopefully I'll be able to accommodate everyone's needs all the time. As the owner-operator it's my name on the door, and my name is my work."Editor's note: Lexie Banks is a senior at Astoria High School. She has a strong interest and aptitude for journalism, and is the Editor-in-Chief for her high school newspaper, the Astor Post.

A Coastal Lock-n-Key

Address: 49 7th St., Astoria

Phone: (503) 468-0295

Hours: To be determined