Astoria was named on national TV Tuesday as the top place to retire in the nation.
The piece was aired on ABC's Good Morning America.
Baby boomers are soon going to be in their 60s, and that means the largest segment of the population is getting ready to retire, presenters noted. New York-based real estate specialist Barbara Corcoran and her staff talked to thousands of retirees and real estate brokers to compile their list of the five best places to retire based on different kinds of lifestyles.
Here are her findings, plus the average home price:
1. Astoria. Best place for people who want some peace and quiet. The average home costs $156,000.
2. Sparks, Nev. Best place for physically active adventure seekers. The average home costs $250,000.
3. Amelia Island, Fla. Best place for beach lovers and nature lovers. The average home costs $360,000.
4. Yaletown (Vancouver), Canada. Best place for the young at heart. The average home costs $500,000.
5. Ann Arbor, Mich. Best place for retirees looking for culture. The average home costs $340,000.
ABC TV sources contributed to this story.