HAMMOND — The fire that destroyed seven apartments at the Columbia Pointe complex in Hammond Sunday has been ruled accidental by the Clatsop County Fire Investigation Team.

The cause of the fire has been determined to be a smoker’s carelessness, with a discarded cigarette butt in the upper-floor apartment where the blaze started, according to Warrenton Fire Chief Ted Ames.

He said, contrary to what the fire department previously reported, the resident was not at the apartment at the time of the fire.

The complex is worth between $2.5 and $4 million.

Damage is estimated at between $500,000 and $600,000, Ames said.

The owners of the complex, Columbia Pointe Apartments LLC, are based in Portland. They came to Hammond and walked through the damaged complex Monday afternoon.

The fire investigation is now complete. Seven households totaling 11 people were displaced. The American Red Cross Oregon Trail Chapter is assisting the residents.

Tags

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.