Clatsop County officials offer these safety tips in the event of electrical outages.

In the house:

? Never use kerosene or propane heaters indoors without proper ventilation. Don't use charcoal or propane barbecues in your house or garage. They create dangerous fumes.

? Preserve body heat by wearing multiple layers of clothing. Wear a hat and blankets to stay warm. Blankets and towels around windows and doors help keep the heat in.

? A full freezer should keep food frozen and safe for about two days when kept closed.

? Don't run generators indoors, including in a garage. Generators need adequate ventilation.

? If you must use candles, exercise caution. Battery-operated lighting is better.

Tags