At 12:18 p.m. Thursday, the Astoria Fire Department responded to a report of a laundry-room fire at Astoria Pointe, an alcohol- and drug-abuse treatment center at 263 W. Exchange St. Upon arrival, smoke was observed coming from the single-story building.

Firefighters entered the building to find a dryer in the laundry room on fire. The fire was quickly extinguished and the electricity and natural gas were shut off to the dryer. Fire personnel used a thermal imaging camera to check for any hot spots in the dryer and to make sure the fire was completely out. A portable fan was used to remove the smoke from the building.

Carla Thompson, an employee at the business, found the fire and responded appropriately by calling 9-1-1, pulling the fire alarm and trying to use a fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire.

Assistance was given by the Lewis & Clark Fire District, Olney-Walluski Fire District also responded, but the incident was controlled prior to their arrival. Estimated loss from this incident is $3,000.

Firefighters would like to remind people it is important to maintain dryers and ducts, and have them cleaned at least every six months.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.