WARRENTON - Errol and Leslie Young put some meat on their electrical rotisserie Sunday afternoon, then headed for Astoria. About 15 or 20 minutes later, at 3:22 p.m., a neighbor noticed smoke coming from the Youngs' home at 90592 Lewis Road in Warrenton and called 9-1-1.

The rotisserie oven apparently overheated and started the interior of the one-story, 1,000 square-foot home on fire, Warrenton Fire Chief Ted Ames said today. He said Warrenton firefighters had the blaze under control in 20 minutes, but were unable to save the Youngs' pet pit bull.

"It was a hot interior fire," Ames said. He estimated it did $40,000 to $50,000 worth of damage and destroyed $25,000 to $30,000 of the contents of the house, but left the outside of the house unscathed.

A neighbor reached the Youngs by cell phone and they returned while firefighters were still on scene. They were offered temporary lodging at the Shilo, with the Firefighters' Association picking up the tab, but Ames said the Youngs decided to stay with neighbors and friends.

The Warrenton Fire Department cleared the scene at 4:52 p.m. and did not have to call for back-up from other departments.

Tags

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.