Kids might not make headline news with this whimsical hat design, but they'll be wearing it.
Total Time Needed: 1 Hour
- To make the crown, unfold several double sheets of newspaper or cut colored tissue paper, crepe paper or recycled gift wrap into pieces of comparable size.
- Place the paper on top of your child's head, fanning out the sheets in different directions. Then, form the crown of the hat, using your hands to gather the paper; all the way around, at eyebrow level.
- For a brow band, wrap the base of the crown with a long piece of masking tape. Reinforce with a second layer. For taller styles, such as a stovepipe or a Stetson, bundle up the paper so that it rises several inches above your child's forehead before you apply tape.
- Remove the hat from your child's head and use scissors to shape the brim. Round the edges to make a floppy bonnet, then decorate with a ribbon sash and silk flowers.
- To style a derby, trim the brim an inch or two from the brow band and adorn with a feather.
- For a baseball cap, cut the brim flush with the brow band along the sides and back. Then, round the front brim to create a visor. Another style is a watch cap: merely roll up the brim all the way to the band.