Hotel and job title:

Hotel Elliott, General Manager

How long in that job:

2+ Years

How long in the industry:

I have been in the hotel side of the hospitality industry for 19 Years

What’s your favorite amusing story/encounter with a tourist?

A few weeks ago a man called and asked where our hotel was. He explained that he was having trouble finding it on his GPS device. The address he had entered was 12th Street in Astoria. We asked him about landmarks and he mentioned that he had driven over from JFK. He was in the Astoria section of Queens in New York City.

I tell my children, it’s not the computer, it’s the computee.

Are there any “hidden gems” that visitors to your area shouldn’t miss?

That is hard because Astoria has such a great history and so many unique places and experiences. At our hotel we try to know where these places are and if they are hidden, we try to change that and uncover those hidden gems.

Some of the unique spots in town are the Columbian Café, Fernhill Glass, Vintage Hardware and Purple Cow Toys.

Projections for the 2013 summer season:

With the increase in room supply in Astoria, we are cautiously forecasting to exceed last years performance.

Will you be increasing your hiring for summer?

Our high season dictates that we add two team members. We have some returning college students, who will fill that need, if they return to Astoria for the summer months.

Favorite vacation spot (anywhere):

Ocean Rogue Inn in Rockaway Beach, It is a very tranquil oceanfront setting. A great place to escape and relax in a casual setting. The beach is beautiful with the view of the Twin Rocks.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.