The city of Astoria is hosting a public open house Tuesday at City Hall to discuss initial plans for replacing the six bridges that connect Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, 10th, and 11th streets to the waterfront.

Public input is sought from community members and interested parties, who are invited to drop in anytime between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.

The Sixth through 11th street bridges provide access to businesses and attractions located on the waterfront, but rest on aging timber foundations that cannot safely carry heavy truck loads.

The city is in the preliminary stages of designing replacement structures to accommodate modern loads and maintain safe access to the piers.

At the open house, attendees will be invited to review preliminary bridge designs and the proposed construction approach. The city is seeking input on the type of bridge railing to be used, and detour routes.

According to the current project schedule, the city expects to complete project designs in early 2017, and begin construction in late 2017. Construction is anticipated to be complete in 2019.

The city received 90 percent of the funding for the project from the state Department of Transportation, and is providing the remaining 10 percent of the project cost.

For information go to http://bit.ly/1RlcmNv