The man accused of a double murder in Seaside made “statements” implicating himself following his arrest, said Clatsop County District Attorney Josh Marquis at a Monday afternoon hearing.

Marcus Foster, 50, made his first appearance in court via closed circuit television from the Clatsop County Jail for the arraignment. Foster is accused of killing his ex-wife Laura J. Foster and her friend, Guy Phillips, both 53, Thursday at the home the Fosters shared on 10th Avenue in Seaside.

Marquis would not elaborate on what the statements were, or whether they constituted a full confession. Foster was denied bail at Monday’s hearing and is scheduled to appear in court again May 15 for another arraignment.

A secret grand jury will convene later this week to discuss what charges to pursue, Marquis said. Foster will enter his plea at the May 15 hearing following the grand jury’s meeting.

At Monday’s hearing, Foster sat quietly and motionless during the proceedings, responding only to questions about his name. He often cast his eyes downward, away from the video screen on which he appeared.

In court, Marquis referred to the crimes as “particularly brutal murders.” He said Foster has a prior assault arrest.

The bodies of Laura Foster and her friend, Phillips, were discovered Friday afternoon by Seaside volunteer firefighters after Marcus Foster’s employer called in a welfare check because he did not show up for work. He was later arrested on U.S. Highway 30 near Knappa.

Investigators discovered an aluminum baseball bat at Foster’s residence and believe it was used to bludgeon Laura Foster and Phillips to death. Autopsies conducted Sunday indicated the victims died as a result of repeated blunt-force trauma to the head.

Authorities have said the couple was divorced, but Foster shared the home with his ex-wife. Phillips was reportedly a long-time friend of Laura Foster and had been in Seaside for only a short period of time.

Information on the murders is limited because of the continuing nature of the investigation. Marquis declined to comment on a possible motive for the murders.

Seaside Detective Sgt. Steve Barnett, who is leading the investigation, said investigators had a motive in mind, but could not divulge it yet.

“I’m going to play this investigation very close to my chest,” Barnett said.

Though Foster hasn’t yet made a plea, Marquis reiterated after Monday’s hearing the three sentencing scenarios for aggravated murder if he is convicted: a life sentence with the possibility of parole after 30 years, life without the possibility of parole, or a death sentence.

“It’s far too early to determine what sentence the state will be seeking,” Marquis said.


Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.