Obituary: Mae Eileen Hendrickson

<p>Mae Eileen Hendrickson</p>

Surrounded by family, Mae Eileen Hendrickson died peacefully in Portland, Ore., on May 4. She was supported by many family and friends, who were blessed by her life of loving and caring for others. As a loving wife, mother, and devoted friend, she will be deeply missed.

Mae Eileen Hill was born in Astoria on Aug. 29, 1926, to Syma (Oja) and James Andrew “Andy” Hill. They lived in Astoria until she was 5 years old, when they moved to Longview, Wash.

Mae graduated from R.A. Long High School in 1944, where she served as Girls Club president and wrote for the school newspaper. At graduation, she was named one of the top 10 “Outstanding Girls” in a class of more than 200. After high school, she attended Oregon State University, joining the Gamma Phi Beta sorority.

On Sept. 2, 1950, she married Hubert E. Hendrickson in Astoria. They settled in Longview, where they attended St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church and were blessed with three children. In 1973, the family moved to Federal Way, Wash. and they were active members of Church of the Good Shepherd. Mae and Hubert moved to Arch Cape in 2001, and became active in their church and community, and enjoyed hosting family and friends in their home.

Mae was a member of PEO and volunteered in the Cannon Beach SMART Reading program. With her husband, Mae traveled to many countries in Europe and Asia, making some of the trips with their dear friends.

Mae is survived by her husband of 63 years; children, Mark (Mary) of Bellevue, Wash., John, of Los Angeles, Calif., and Leslie (Greg) Copeland of McMinnville, Ore.; brother, Kenneth (Nancy) Hill of Sunnyvale, Calif.; and grandchildren, Stephen and David Hendrickson, Kelly (Josh) Merrick, and Corey and Kacie Copeland.

A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, July 5 in St. Catherine of Alexandria Episcopal Church in Manzanita.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorial donations be made to a charity of choice.

Arrangements are entrusted to Hughes-Ransom Mortuary in Seaside. Visit www.hughes-ransom.com to leave condolences and sign the guest book.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.