UNLV (34-23, 20-10 Mountain West), 2-seed in Corvallis Regional
* UNLV won the Mountain West regular season championship and was the conference tournament runner-up, losing two of three games to San Diego State.
* This is the Rebels' seventh at-large bid in school history and their first postseason appearance since 2005.
* UNLV has simply been average in the last 30 games, going 15-15 in that time. The Rebels are also 5-5 in their last 10 contests.
* Offensively, Patrick Armstrong and Morgan Stotts lead UNLV. Armstrong batted .306 this season, hitting seven home runs and 54 runs batted in. Stotts hit .346 with 35 RBI, and is the reigning Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year.
* The Rebels' pitching staff took a major blow when their ace, Erick Fedde, suffered a season-ending injury earlier this season. John Richy has filled the void and been terrific, combining for an 11-3 record and 2.78 earned run average. He's tossed five complete games in 15 starts this season.
* Brayden Toress is the Rebels' best option out of the bullpen, accumulating a 2.05 ERA in 21 appearances this season.
* UNLV is 11-7 on the road this season and faces the third seeded UC Irvine Anteaters in its first game of the regional Friday.
UC Irvine (35-22, 15-9 Big West), 3-seed in Corvallis Regional
* The Anteaters were one of the last at-large teams selected to the postseason this year, finishing third in the Big West conference standings.
* It's UC Irvine's eighth playoff appearance in the last 11 years, but the Anteaters' first since 2011.
* Right-handed pitcher Andrew Morales, who was the Big West Pitcher of the Year, leads UC Irvine into the Corvallis Regional. Morales is 9-2 on the season with a 1.56 ERA. The right-hander tossed 31 1/3 straight scoreless innings at one point this season.
* First baseman Connor Spencer is UC Irvine's best offensive player, accounting for a .361 batting average and 38 RBIs this season. His play earned him First Team All-Big West honors.
* Jerry McClanahan, meanwhile, is arguably the Anteaters' hottest hitter, ending the season with a .319 average and 31 RBIs, while hitting better than .400 in the team's final 12 games.
* UC Irvine is 1-1 all time against Oregon State. The two teams last met in the 2007 College World Series when the Beavers eliminated the Anteaters en route to their second consecutive national championship.
* UC Irvine is 13-10 on the road this season, the best record of OSU's three challengers in the regional.
North Dakota State (25-24, 10-12 Summit League) 4-seed in Corvallis Regional
* Won Summit League by beating South Dakota State and then Western Illinois twice in a best-of-three series. The Bison are 8-2 in their past 10 games.
* 2014 is the Bison's first ever playoff appearance since jumping to Division-I in 2005.
* North Dakota State lived and died by its offense for most of the year, scoring 277 runs while hitting .275 with 89 extra-base hits. The Bison have a 4.42 team ERA and have allowed 234 runs this season.
* North Dakota State's offense is led by Tim Colwell, who's hitting .376 this season. Wes Satzinger is another key cog in NDSU's offense, hitting .361 with two home runs and 31 RBIs this season.
* Parker Trewin is the Bison's best pitcher, sporting a 7-2 record and 2.58 ERA this season. Opponents are hitting just .232 against him. David Ernst is the team's second starter, going 5-4 on the season with a 3.70 ERA.
* North Dakota State plays No. 1 Oregon State in its first game of the regional at 8 p.m. Friday. The two schools have never played one another.