The task of home painting projects may seem daunting, but by following a few helpful steps you can give your home a fresh, clean appearance and incorporate some of your favorite new home décor trends.
Whether your painting projects call for sprucing up your indoor space or freshening up outdoor trim, a little advance planning, sweat equity and the right tools can go a long way in ensuring a professional looking result, said Carmen De La Paz, designer and former host of HGTVs Hammer Heads.
De La Paz offers these tips to help you paint like a pro.
Start with the Right Tools
Whether working on interior or exterior projects, be sure to use the right tools especially the appropriate tape to ensure a professional looking result. For indoor projects, make sure you read the label to find a tape that is appropriate for the surface you are working on and that has EdgeLock technology to ensure sharp, clean lines. For exterior projects, ScotchBlue has an Exterior Painters Tape specifically designed for exterior paint jobs and is resistant to sun, wind and moisture.
Tips for Exquisite Exteriors
With its exposure to the elements and various surface types, exterior painting has its list of challenges. Here are a few tips to make outdoor painting a breeze:
- Always use the appropriate nap, or thickness of a roller, for the surface you are painting. Some surfaces, like stucco, tend to have a rougher texture, so be sure to use a thick nap roller to help pull paint in and out of crevices. This will save time and frustration.
- Remember to pick paint designed for the surface being painted. For example, choose masonry or stucco paint for outdoor projects, or paint that is compatible with wood or metal when painting other exterior surfaces. Remember, outdoor elements will influence how well paint sticks to a surface; some surfaces will even reject the wrong paint. You can avoid this by using the right paint from the start.
- Be sure to back prime any newly installed woodwork. This means you should prime and seal the whole board before installing it. This will protect the backboard from moisture and prevent bloating and cracking once new woodwork is applied.
Ideas for Impressive Interiors
When approaching interior projects, use these tips to make them flawless:
- When painting big surfaces, such as a wall, use a roller and paint in X and W patterns for even distribution of paint. This helps you avoid lap marks where paint builds up thicker in some areas due to overlapping.
- When using a brush, load your brush and start by painting strokes in the middle of the paint area working your way to the edges. The goal is to lightly whisk the paint on. The brush has more paint on it than you think, so let the brush do the work.
- If your painting job is ongoing, dont wash the brushes. Instead, put them back in their bags and keep in the freezer overnight. Then, pull the brushes out about 15 minutes before you plan to use them again and youre ready to go. This saves time and water for brushes that are already in great working condition.
Youll be amazed by how beautiful your home can be when you take the time to tackle those painting projects and do it right. Incorporating these tips into your painting routine will get you painting like a pro in no time.
For more tips on painting and inspiring DIY projects, visit www.scotchblue.com.