Seaside Elks Lodge 1748 turned 60 years old July 8. A birthday celebration was held Sept. 13, featuring Larry Elliott's Fresh Salmon Feed. He caught, cleaned, cooked and donated the salmon.
Sponsored by Astoria Elks Lodge No. 180, the Seaside Lodge was chartered July 8, 1948. The first exalted ruler was George S. Gray. Gray was a past exalted ruler from Tillamook Lodge No. 1437. The yearly dues in 1948 were $15. The Lodge building at 324 Avenue A was constructed in 1954. The current exalted ruler is Jeanne Uzelac.
Oregon Elks reported these statistics for Fraternal Year April 1, 2007 to March 31, 2008: number of people who donated their time for Elks projects - 36,218; number of hours donated by those people - 214,641; number of miles traveled for charity 713,404; cash contributions from Oregon Elks - $2,517,150; noncash contributions from Oregon Elks - $793,445; total contributions from Oregon Elks - $7,862.077.46
The Elks motto is: "Elks Care - Elks Share," and they certainly live by their motto!