SEASIDE – A Seaside man was arrested Friday evening following the apparent murder of his ex-wife and a man who, police believe, could have been killed with a baseball bat.

Marcus G. Foster, 50, was charged with two counts of first-degree aggravated murder in the death of his ex-wife, Laura J. Foster, 53, and an unidentified man in his early 60s. Police are withholding the man’s identity pending notification of next of kin.

The murder occurred at 1372 10th Ave.

Police believe the two were killed Thursday evening, but they won’t know for sure until an autopsy is conducted, said Clatsop County District Attorney Josh Marquis.

Marquis and Seaside Police Chief Bob Gross conducted a press conference Saturday morning.

Police aren’t looking for other suspects, Marquis said.

“There is no reason to believe anyone else is out there. “This was a brutal homicide. In many ways, this was a domestic homicide,” he said.

The bodies were discovered Friday afternoon inside the house after the Seaside Volunteer Fire Department responded to a report of an unresponsive person. When they arrived at the house, they discovered the bodies of a man and woman who had been dead for some time, Marquis said.

Investigators believe the weapon used was a baseball bat, but the cause of death won’t be determined until the autopsy, which will be conducted this weekend or on Monday, he said.

Following the discovery of the bodies, police began a search for a purple Toyota Scion and a gold Toyota Camry. Marcus Foster was arrested after a Clatsop County sheriff’s deputy spotted and stopped the purple Scion traveling west on U.S. Highway 30 entering Knappa.

Foster was taken into custody without incident and was booked at the Clatsop County Jail. He will be arraigned in Clatsop County Circuit Court on Monday, and a grand jury will consider the charges this week, Marquis said.

If he is convicted of aggravated murder, he could face three possible sentences: a life sentence with the possibility of parole after 30 years; life without the possibility of parole; or a death sentence.

“It is too early to determine if it is a capital case,” that warrants the death penalty, Marquis said.

He said the preliminary investigation indicates that Laura Foster and the male victim were long-time friends. The victim had recently moved to Seaside, possibly as recently as last Tuesday, Gross said. Before his arrival the two had been “conversing,” Gross said.

Although the police believe they know who the victim is, they are comparing photographs with another police agency to confirm his identity. The victim had been arrested by that agency before, said Gross, who didn’t identify the agency.

Although Marcus and Laura Foster had been divorced for several years, they were living together when the murder occurred, Marquis said.

The incident began at 9:20 a.m. Friday when Marcus Foster’s employer asked the Seaside police to do a welfare check at the 10th Avenue residence when Foster failed to show up for work. The officer found the door locked but no signs of forced entry or suspicious circumstances. The employer said he would try to check with Foster’s wife.

At 2:59 p.m., the Seaside Volunteer Fire Department received a report of the unresponsive person at the same address.

Although the Seaside Police Department is the lead agency in the investigation, the department is being assisted by the Clatsop County Major Crime Team, composed of representatives from four local law enforcement agencies and the county medical examiner. The team spent Friday evening and Saturday gathering evidence at the residence.

Police are still searching for the gold Camry, which belonged to the male victim. Gross said it wasn’t clear why the car wasn’t at the residence at the time of the murder.

“It’s a possibility he sold it, or loaned it to someone, but it’s missing,” Gross said.

Manuela Tucker, who had known Laura Foster since she was 5 years old and had attended Seaside High School with her, said Saturday that Foster loved animals, especially birds and dogs. Until recently, Foster had worked at a local real estate agency in Seaside.

She was proud of her children and grandchildren, Tucker said.

“She never bothered nobody,” Tucker added.

She also described Marcus Foster as a “really nice guy” who worked at a local glass supply company.

“He enjoyed being a grandfather to his grandkids,” Tucker said.



(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.