SEASIDE - Marcus Foster, the Seaside man accused of murdering his former wife and her friend, remains in the Clatsop County Jail without bail following his arraignment May 7.

Foster, 50, was arrested May 4 when a Clatsop County uniformed Sheriff’s deputy spotted a purple Toyota Scion traveling west on Highway 30 entering Knappa. The vehicle was stopped and Foster was taken into custody without incident. He was taken to the Clatsop County jail and interviewed by members of the Clatsop County Major Crime Team.

Foster's arrest followed the discovery of two bodies inside the residence at 1372 10th Avenue in Seaside after the Seaside Fire and Rescue Department responded to the address May 4 on a report of an unresponsive person.

"The people that discovered the bodies inside were family members and friends and they indicated that the house was locked up and they had to crawl through a window to get in and that's when they discovered the bodies," said Bob Gross, Seaside Police Chief. “When officers arrived, they discovered a male and female inside the residence who had been deceased for some time. After a search of the residence for any additional victims, they secured the residence notifying detectives.”

Investigators identified the victims as Laura J. Foster, 53, of Seaside and Guy C. Phillips, 53, who had just moved to Seaside from Portland. According to investigators, Foster had shared the home with his former wife and that Laura Foster and Phillips were long time friends.

Autopsies were completed on both Laura Foster and Phillips on May 6. Both victims died as a result of repeated blunt force trauma to the head. Investigators believe the murder weapon was an aluminum baseball bat recovered during Saturday’s search of the residence.

District Attorney Josh Marquis said the Clatsop County Grand Jury would consider charges against Foster this week. Foster’s next court date has been set for May 15 for a plea arraignment.

If convicted of aggravated murder, Foster could face possible sentences ranging from life with possibility of parole after 30 years, life without possibility of parole, or a death sentence. Marquis said it was much too early to determine what penalty would be sought.

Anyone with information concerning this case is asked to call the Seaside Police Department at (503) 738-6311 or Crime Tip line at (503) 738-0222.


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.