SEASIDE - A quick response prevented a fire from spreading in the kitchen exhaust system of an Avenue G house Tuesday, fire officials said.

The Seaside Fire Department received the call at 925 Avenue G at 8:36 a.m., Fire Marshal Chris Dugan said. The owner, Tina Terwilliger, had noticed smoke when visiting the tenant, Wilma Bowser, and immediately called 9-1-1, he said.

Debris from recent work on the roof of the house apparently had fallen into the stove exhaust vent and stopped the fan from moving, Dugan said. The motor overheated and started the fire, he said.

Damage was confined mostly to the exhaust system, and was estimated at $600. The fire did not spread to the building structure, and no one was hurt.

Seaside responded with 22 volunteers using the aerial truck, engine and heavy rescue vehicle. After extinguishing the fire they cleared the area at 9:12 a.m.

Tags

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.