Two North Coast residents with warrants out for their arrests attempted to elude Astoria Police officers Wednesday afternoon but ended up in a ditch as a result, and eventually in jail.

Just before 4 p.m., Joey Thomas Hughes, 22, of Warrenton, and Tanya Marie Laferriere, 31, of Astoria, were taken into custody, after leading Astoria Police officer Joe Symonds on a chase with speeds of 70 miles per hour.

Symonds was near Fifth Street and Olney Avenue when he noticed a brown 1981 Toyota with no front license plate.

He turned to make an enforcement stop and saw that the vehicle accelerate, so he activated his lights to stop the vehicle, which continued to travel above posted speeds leaving the city using Business U.S. Highway 101, crossing the Old Youngs Bay Bridge.

Hughes continued on Business 101, where he lost control on the corner near Wireless Road, coming to rest in the ditch on the opposite side of the road.

Both Hughes and Laferriere fled the vehicle running through a field.

Symonds was joined by other officers from the Astoria Police Department and deputies from the Sheriff’s Office, who responded to assist.

Hughes and Laferriere were located hiding in the bushes near a slough at the rear of the field. Several witnesses at the scene helped the officers locate the suspects.

Hughes, the driver, had a warrant for his arrest on a parole violation. He is now charged with two counts of attempt to allude police with a vehicle, driving while suspended, interfering with a police officer, three counts of reckless endangering and reckless driving.

Laferriere had a warrant for failing to appear on a possession of methamphetamine offense.

She is now also charged with attempt to allude police with a vehicle and interfering with a police officer.

Attempt to elude in a vehicle is a Class C Felony punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $125,000. Other charges may be added later. 

Hughes was the driver in another pursuit over logging roads in rural Astoria when he fled from a traffic stop in March 2011. In that incident Hughes was not captured at the time of the pursuit. 

As with all pursuits involving Astoria officers, the pursuit will be reviewed by the department’s command staff.