Warrenton boys advance to quarterfinals; Ilwaco faces crunch game FridayPENDLETON - It was "Upset Tuesday" in the first round of the Class 2A state tournament in Pendleton, and unfortunately for the Knappa girls, they were among the victims.

Several No. 1 seeds went down to defeat Tuesday, including the Loggers, who dropped a 61-52 decision to Colton in the morning session. In the bottom half of the girls' bracket, all four No. 1 seeds lost in the opening round.

The Vikings were just 2-of-13 at the free throw line through three quarters, but Colton connected on 12-of-15 attempts in the final period to post the first-round upset victory.

RUSTY DONALDSON - For the Daily Astorian

Logger Rene'e Evans, right, shoots up and over a pair of Colton players in Knappa's first-round loss Tuesday.

It was just the second loss of the season for Knappa (24-2), the first loss to another Class 2A team.

And the same thing that bit the Loggers in last year's quarterfinal loss to Gold Beach - foul trouble - bit the Loggers again Tuesday.

"Foul trouble, and that was probably one of our worst defensive games of the year," said Knappa coach Mike Jacobson. "We didn't play very good defense - we weren't moving our feet and we were real flat defensively. Then we couldn't hit our free throws, and that killed us."

Knappa found itself in foul trouble early, as starters Katie Ho and Rene'e Evans each had three fouls by halftime, while Nadra Evans and Tracie Nygaard had two apiece.

When it was all over, all four had fouled out. Ho played a total of six minutes.

"They were calling everything," Jacobson said. "It was disappointing, because you'd go to another game, and they're not calling anything. But you have to adjust to what the refs are calling, and we didn't adjust.

"Then we started standing around waiting for Rene'e to do stuff, and we couldn't do that."

Meanwhile, the Vikings overcame a tough first half (12-of-33 from the field, 2-of-11 at the line) and led 28-24 at the break.

The Loggers reeled off a 6-0 run to start the second half, as Nygaard, Tonya Olds and Nadra Evans scored consecutive baskets for a 30-28 lead.

From there, the lead would change hands nine times the remainder of the game.

A three-point play by Rene'e Evans midway through the third quarter gave the Loggers a 33-30 advantage, but the Vikings closed the period on a 6-2 run, capped by a lay-up from Erin Temple.

Ho fouled out with 4:31 left in the game, as she fouled Colton's Kathryn Burns on a lay-up, which turned into a three-point play for Burns.

Olds and Rene'e Evans responded minutes later with back-to-back 3-pointers to give the Loggers a 49-45 lead.

But the Vikings - who used just six players for the majority of the game - charged back with another three-point play from Burns and a trey from Brittney Adams for a 51-49 advantage with 2:30 remaining.

And the Vikings won the free throw shooting contest to close it out, as they connected on 10-of-13 foul shots in the final 1:18, including a 6-of-7 effort by Burns.

The Loggers, meanwhile, went 3-of-8 at the line in the final quarter.

Rene'e Evans led Knappa with 22 points, 10 rebounds and four assists, and Nygaard finished with 12 points. The Loggers were 21-of-59 from the field (36 percent).

Burns led Colton with 18 points and eight rebounds, with Brown adding 14 points and Megan Adams chipping in 10 points and nine boards.

"Defensively we tried everything - zone, man, trap - everything, and we just didn't play very well," Jacobson said. "They were a very good help-defense team, and they have a very patient offense. It was a tough match-up for us.

"And they converted their free throws, and we missed some front ends in the second half. We got the lead, but we just couldn't sustain it."

The Loggers plan on bouncing back strong in the consolation round, as they open today's action against Dayton.

"Our players were upset," Jacobson said. "But Tonya (Olds) commented that she felt sorry for the teams that we're going to be playing now. We can still bring home a trophy, and they realize that. All the pressure's off, because they felt a lot of pressure coming in. I think we'll be fine."

Boys Basketball

Warrenton 64, Grant Union 45RUSTY DONALDSON - For the Daily Astorian

Warrenton's Brandon Engebretson (5) takes the ball to the hoop for two of his 10 points in the Warriors' win Tuesday night.

PENDLETON - Following their big finish in last year's state tournament, the Warrenton Warriors picked up right where they left off, as they opened the boys' 2003 Class 2A state playoffs with a solid 64-45 win over Grant Union Tuesday night at the Pendleton Convention Center.

It was just a three-point game at halftime, but the Warriors turned up the heat in the second half, outscoring the Prospectors 35-19 over the final two quarters for the win.

The victory moves Warrenton (22-5) into the quarterfinals, where the Warriors will face Dayton tonight (7:30 p.m., KAST 1370 AM). The Pirates defeated Warrenton earlier in the season, 65-40.

Tuesday's high-scoring start had the Warriors taking a 17-13 lead after one quarter, as Nate McBride scored nine of his game-high 27 points in the opening period.

Warrenton's Zach Gantenbein finished with 18 points, including four 3-pointers. He hit the first of his four treys in the second period to help the Warriors take a 29-26 lead at the break.

The McBride-Gantenbein duo combined for 27 of Warrenton's 35 points in the second half, with Gantenbein draining three 3-pointers and McBride scoring back-to-back jumpers late in the third quarter for a 43-34 advantage.

Grant Union pulled to within 43-39 early in the fourth, but the Warriors closed the game on a 21-6 run. Warrenton hit 11-of-12 free throws. Brandon Engebretson, who finished with 10 points and eight rebounds, connected on two free throws midway through the second quarter, giving him a school-record 19 straight successful foul shots.

Ridgefield 39, Ilwaco 31BATTLE GROUND, Wash. - Ilwaco's early lead just wouldn't hold up Tuesday night, as Ridgefield rallied for a 39-31 win over the Fishermen in a semifinal game of the Southwest Washington 2A boys basketball tournament.

It was Ridgefield's third win of the season over Ilwaco, which will play Friday against Tenino (7:30 p.m., KSWB 840 AM) in a loser-out playoff. The winner of Friday's game will advance to state.

Ilwaco held a 9-0 lead before the Spudders even scored, and a hook shot from Ryan Cadwell midway through the second period helped the Fishermen take a 19-8 advantage.

Ridgefield closed the first half on an 8-0 run to trail 19-16 at halftime.

The Spudders picked up where they left off to start the second half, using a 9-0 run for a 25-19 lead to complete a 17-0 run.

A lay-up by Ilwaco's Kyle Kaino to close the third period brought the Fishermen to within 30-28, but the Ilwaco offense fell silent in the final period.

Kaino's 3-pointer with 4:20 left were the only points of the fourth quarter for the Fishermen, while the Spudders pulled away down the stretch.


Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.